Monday, March 2, 2009

Source Code Management

‹prev | My Chain | next›

No doubt to the chagrin of some of my co-workers, I'll use git to manage my code. Since I will be documenting everything, there is no sense in maintaining a private repository. I will use github as the public repository.

There is very little involved in creating a git/github repository. Github is nice enough to provide easy to follow instructions.

I already had a github account, so the next steps were (almost verbatim from github):
  mkdir eee-code
cd eee-code
git init
touch README.rdoc
git add README.rdoc
git commit -m 'first commit'
git remote add origin git@github.com:eee-c/eee-code.git
git push origin master


Only the last step is somewhat obscure in meaning (at least to me). According to the git-push documentation, "master" is the "refspec", which can be used to push to differently named remote locations. I am not clear why you would want to do this (apply commits to branches without having to checkout first?).

At any rate, I now have a repository for my chain: http://github.com/eee-c/eee-code/tree/master and the chain is unbroken on day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment